Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do about a stray animal?

Please call City Hall at (319)443-2400 during office hours or the local Police Department at their non-emergency number (319)443-2780. They will contact the animal control authorities as needed. City Hall is not set up to take in stray animals. It’s important to note that any citizen who calls Animal Control on their own will be responsible for the charges themselves.

When is yard waste collected and what kind of yard waste is accepted?

During the Summer and Fall seasons, yard waste will be collected on the 1st and 3rd weeks of the month. Only grass clippings, leaves and bundles of branches less than 3′ in length are accepted for pick up. containers must be 32 gallons or less and weigh less than 40 pounds. Please watch the Newsletter for more information.

Why am I getting late notices on my city utility bill when it is scheduled online for the due date through my personal bank?

There has been some confusion about the bank pay features that some people are using from their own banks. The funds are electronically transferred into the City’s account. It comes to the City in a check via the USPS. Please allow ample time for the check to arrive; in most cases this is a minimum of 7 days. The City is not responsible for the delay due to delivery time. If you wish to avoid this altogether, you may sign up for ACH Payment (the City can automatically deduct your bill from your checking account on the 20th of each month). If you are interested in ACH, please see the Forms and Permits page or visit City Hall.